Sick of Covid19? Well so are we, but let's not “stew on it” 😊. This stew is going to help with staying warm and maintaining a healthy immune system! These extraordinarily tough times during the pandemic give us an opportunity to keep busy and learn new recipes using great ingredients, ensuring that we stay healthy. Cravings for carbohydrate-rich foods are common and we’ve got the ultimate winter warming recipe just for you. Full of carbohydrates, healthy fats, protein and flavour, it’s no wonder this recipe is our most popular! For a healthy and heart-warming comfort meal, fill up on our Mexican Bean Stew:
- 1 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 Yellow Pepper, diced into cubes
- ½ Tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 400g Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Purée
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 400g Tin Mixed Beans, drained and rinsed
- 125g Basmati Brown Rice, to serve
Optional: Add Chicken/Turkey Breasts if desired, diced
- 100g Greek Yoghurt
- 1 Lime, cut into wedges
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
For the salsa and topping:
- 1 Tomato, roughly chopped
- 4 Tbsp Fresh Coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 Spring Onions, thinly sliced
Preparation is key, so once you have your ingredients prepared and ready, you will have the meal cooked in 30 minutes, the same amount of time we recommend you to wear your Slendertone ab belt!
- Melt coconut oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook gently for three minutes, stirring regularly, add chicken or turkey breast here if desired. Add the yellow pepper and cook for two minutes.
- Stir in the spices (chilli powder, ground cumin, coriander) and cook for a few seconds, then add the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée and mixed beans. Pour over 300ml of cold water and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Season with a little salt and ground black pepper and cook for 30 minutes on a medium heat, stirring occasionally until thick.
- Meanwhile, half-fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the brown basmati rice and let simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- To make the tasty salsa, mix the tomato, coriander, and spring onions together in a bowl.
- To serve, drain the rice and divide between two bowls. Spoon the Mexican Bean Stew over the rice and spoon on the salsa. Serve with the yoghurt and lime wedges.
Don’t forget to share your #slendertonerecipe creation on Instagram!